Learn more about MICROLAX® and discover its place in treatment with these helpful tools.
See the full Info Sheet
Read the Article
Help provide relief from constipation with MICROLAX® – suitable for the whole family, including babies.2
Suitable for patients of all ages, including children under the age of three, MICROLAX® is a disposable, fast-acting, stool-softening micro enema that helps provide relief of rectal constipation, usually in 5 to 20 minutes.
Compared to other enemas, MICROLAX® contains only 5 mL of liquid 2†
†Clinical significance is unknown
Simple to use2
For those suffering from constipation, MICROLAX® is easy to use and hygienic.
- Twist the seal of the nozzle.
- Squeeze the tube slightly so that a drop of MICROLAX® smears the tip – this will lubricate the nozzle and make insertion easier.
- Insert the nozzle fully into the rectum.
NOTE: In children under 3 years of age, insert only half the length of the nozzle (see indication on the nozzle).
- Squeeze out the contents fully by squeezing the shoulder of the tube.
- Withdraw the nozzle while still squeezing tightly.
After use, the micro enema should be disposed of. Patients should avoid prolonged use for greater than one week and be advised to check with their doctor if symptoms persist.
How it works1,2
MICROLAX® helps to relieve constipation usually in as fast as 5 to 20 minutes. Its active ingredients (sodium citrate, sodium lauryl sulfoacetate and sorbitol) work together to release the bound water in the stool and loosen it.
The action of the gel-like contents is local and physical. It has no direct effect on the bowel or its reflex mechanism. There is also a low risk for dependence.
If you’d like to learn more about MICROLAX® or have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- For rectal constipation; or as directed by a physician to facilitate rectoscopic or sigmoidoscopic examination.
- Do not use if you are allergic to any of the ingredients in this product.
- Do not use in the presence of abdominal pain, nausea, fever or vomiting.
- If symptoms persist, check with your doctor and avoid prolonged use greater than one week, unless your doctor has ordered a special schedule for you.
- Do not use MICROLAX® while using products containing sodium polystyrene sulfonate as there may be a risk of intestinal necrosis.
- If pregnant or breast-feeding, talk to your doctor before use.
- MICROLAX® Package Insert, 2016.
- MICROLAX® Product package (carton), 2016.